In this episode we talk with Carol Feller, knitwear designer, teacher, and co-creator of Nua Yarn. Carol lives in Cork, Ireland. Then expert talk with Amy King of Spunky Ecelctic about the Merino, Yak, and Linen blend that comprises Nua.
Carol’s Website: http://stolenstitches.com/
- Nua’s Ravelry Page: https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/stolen-stitches-nua
- Fyberspates: http://fyberspates.com/
- Chester Wool: http://www.chesterwool.com/
- Belfast’s Linen History
- The first Nua Collection, with colorwork, texture, and lace
- The Black and White Color test for colorwork helps you see if there is enough value contrast in yarns to work them together as colorwork. You can use your smartphone in the yarnshop to help you with it.
- Pistachio Saffron – FREE Pattern in Nua from Knitty.com
- Props to Erica, my resident namer.
- You can sign up for updates on the Nua releases (kits, new colors, and the second collection) with Carol’s newsletter here.
- My fav silk/linen blend: Anzula Breeze, which I have used for tops and shawls.
- We mention Louet’s MerLin, which is sadly discontinued.
- Sport Weight yarn is right between DK and fingering weight. To learn more about yarn weights, check out Miriam’s Yarn Weight Chart.
- If you want to hear more from Amy, you should check out her book on spinning for the yarn you want – Spin Control (affiliate link).
- A bit about yak fiber production
- More about the superwash process
- PSA: WASH AND BLOCK YOUR SWATCHES!
If you’ve enjoyed this podcast, please share it via social media, or leave a 5-star rating in iTunes. It really helps the podcast to grow and find more audience. I’m looking for sponsors as well, so if you have any suggestions or if you would like to sponsor the podcast, I’d appreciate an email about that (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This podcast was produced in Salt Lake City UT, with production help from Sid Fallon. Music is by the ever illusive Breakmaster Cylinder.
Next episode in 2 weeks!
Enter here for a digital copy of the Nua Collection, Vol. 1!
Contest by Rewards Fuel.